With the holiday period now over, activities and reports of interest to exporters are gearing up again. One of the biggest international trade events this week is the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. An important report on the state of the U.S. economy, the so-called Beige Book, will be published by the U.S. Federal Reserve on January 14. And the latest in a series of webinars offered by Canadian Manufacturing and Exporting and sponsored by Export Development Canada will help exporters ensure they prepare the correct documentation to submit to government agencies so that customs delays can be minimized and costly fines and penalties can be avoided.
Monday, January 11, 2016
- Publication of Global Financial Markets, a weekly publication that reports key financial and macroeconomic information for both developed and emerging markets.
- Publication of Commodity Tracker, a weekly table of commodity prices and economic indicators related to activity in the commodity markets that are most relevant to Canadian exporters.
INTERNATIONAL TRADE EVENTS
January 12-13, 2016 – Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Automotive News World Congress 2016
The Automotive News World Congress (ANWC) is a key event in the global automotive industry, which takes place during the annual North America International Auto Show (NAIAS, aka the “Detroit Auto Show”). The two-day ANWA conference attracts industry leaders and analysts from around the globe. During the 2015 Detroit Auto Show, there were 55 new model unveilings and a crowd of more than 5,000 journalists and 28,000 automotive professionals representing close to 2,000 companies; the 2016 edition is expected to be an equally exciting opportunity. The two days of ANWA are expected to feature more than 20 industry speakers and an unparalleled opportunity to reach and hear from top level decision-makers in the automotive industry.
Thursday, January 14, 2016 – 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm EST
- Export Success Webinar: Tariff Classification & NAFTA treatment for Trade ComplianceOffered by Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) and sponsored by Export Development Canada, this webinar will provide an overview to a company’s international trade processes, from classifying goods for customs purposes to, whether or not manufactured products qualify for NAFTA treatment. These trade and export compliance processes will ensure the correct documentation is submitted to government agencies, which will assist in minimizing customs delays and avoid costly fines and penalties. Topics to be covered include: Canadian Tariff Classification (Overview); Certificates of Origin verification to ensure compliance; NAFTA treatment, including examples of how to calculate regional value content (RVC)
Cost: $40 Non-Members; $30 CME Members
Wednesday, January 14, 2016
- The U.S. Federal Reserve Board publishes the latest edition of its Summary of Commentary on Current Economic Conditions (The Beige Book), providing “anecdotal information on current economic conditions” in the United States
Thursday, January 15, 2016
- The Bank of England makes a regularly scheduled interest rate announcement
December 19, 2015
- Press Release: “Minister Freeland welcomes progress on multilateral trade negotiations at 10th WTO Ministerial Conference” (Global Affairs Canada)
January 4, 2016
January 5, 2016
- Press Release: “Ministers of International Trade and Small Business and Tourism announce new export program for Canadian companies” (Global Affairs Canada) (Note: For more information about this program, click here.)
- Press Release: “Industrial product and raw materials price indexes, November 2015” (Statistics Canada)
January 6, 2016
- EDC Publication: “Export Performance Monitor – January 2016”
- Press Release: “Canadian international merchandise trade, November 2015” (Statistics Canada)
- Press Release (Available in English only): “U.S. International Trade in Goods and Services, November 2015” (U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis)
January 7, 2016
- Press Release: “National tourism indicators, third quarter 2015” (Statistics Canada)
- Speech: “Life After Liftoff: Divergence and U.S. Monetary Policy Normalization” (Bank of Canada Governor Stephen S. Poloz)
January 8, 2016
- Press Release: “Labour Force Survey, December 2015” (Statistics Canada)
Now available for viewing on demand
EDC recently hosted a series of three free webinars that will answer your questions and help you understand the benefits and rewards of exporting to international markets.
- Exporters do better. How to get started
- Get the most out of exporting to the United States
- Export challenges: How to overcome them and succeed