Foreign Ministers from Canada, the United States and Mexico meet in Quebec City on Friday to discuss a variety of topics, including how to improve trade among the three countries. Both the Canadian and U.S. governments release reports on Gross Domestic Product this week, which will give an indication of the strength of the economy in each country. Two other announcements in the United States – a report on durable goods orders and the regularly scheduled announcement of the U.S. Federal Reserve on interest rates – will also provide insight into the health of the U.S. economy, the single biggest market for Canadian exports. A webinar from Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, and sponsored by EDC, will provide exporters with an overview of solutions for financing trade and international supply chains.
Monday, January 25, 2016
- Publication of Global Financial Markets, a weekly publication that reports key financial and macroeconomic information for both developed and emerging markets.
- Publication of Commodity Tracker, a weekly table of commodity prices and economic indicators related to activity in the commodity markets that are most relevant to Canadian exporters.
INTERNATIONAL TRADE EVENTS
January 25-28, 2016 – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Arab Health Exhibition & Congress
Arab Health is expected to host 4,000 exhibitors and welcome over 93,500 visitors from the healthcare industry. This premier regional medical and healthcare trade fair brings together medical practitioners and healthcare professionals with leading manufacturers, dealers, and distributors to network and exchange best practices. As well, Arab Health will host 39 country pavilions further enhancing the range of hospital equipment, medical equipment, medical devices and medical technology on display at the exhibition.
January 26-27, 2016 – Prague, Czech Republic
- Gaudeamus Prague 2016 – Education Fair
A series of Gaudeamus education fairs take place annually in Nitra (Slovakia), Brno and Prague (Czech Republic). The Gaudeamus fairs are the best known education and study abroad fairs in central Europe. More than 40,000 visitors from Czech Republic and Slovakia come to see the exhibitions every year. The Gaudeamus Prague 2016 is an opportunity to promote education in Canada and to attract Czech and Slovak students to study in Canada. In January 2015, the Gaudeamus Prague fair attracted 9,654 visitors and 186 exhibitors from all over the world.
Wednesday, January 27, 2016 – 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm EST
- Export Success Webinar: Financing Trade and International Supply Chains
Alexander R. Malaket will take you through an overview of financing options, solutions and practices related to the conduct of international trade, introducing the mechanics of long-established instruments such as letters of credit, and addressing recent developments in the financing of international supply chains. Offered by Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) and sponsored by Export Development Canada, this webinar will cover the four core elements of trade and supply chain finance, explore sources and gain practical insight on ways to mitigate risks through the proper selection of trade finance products.
Cost: $40 Non-Members; $30 CME Members
Friday, January 29, 2016 – Quebec City, Quebec
- North American Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion hosts his counterparts from the United States and Mexico to discuss a variety of topics, including a review of their efforts to strengthen cooperation on climate change, clean energy and the environment, and how to improve North American competitiveness by reducing impediments to trade between the three countries.
January 30-31, 2016 – Paris, France
- Salon L’Etudiant “Partir étudier à l’étranger”
This is a major student fair bringing together at least 20 countries from around the world and about 30,000 visitors. Canada is represented at the event by many French-language, English-language and bilingual educational institutions, such as universities, colleges and language schools.
Wednesday, January 27, 2016
- U.S. Federal Reserve makes a regularly scheduled interest rate announcement
Thursday, January 28, 2016
- U.S. government releases report on Durable Goods Orders (December 2015)
Friday, January 29, 2016
- Statistics Canada releases report on Gross Domestic Product by Industry (November 2015)
- U.S. government releases report on Gross Domestic Product (Q4 and annual 2015 (advance estimate))
January 15, 2016
- Press Release: “Canada Gains Market Access for Pork to India” (Global Affairs Canada)
January 20, 2016
- Press Release: “Bank of Canada maintains overnight rate target at 1/2 per cent” (Bank of Canada)
- Press Release: “Travel between Canada and other countries, November 2015” (Statistics Canada)
- Press Release: “New Canadian initiative will support investment in emerging markets” (Global Affairs Canada)
- Press Release (available in English only): “Consumer Price Index, December 2015” (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Press Release (available in English only): “New Residential Construction, December 2015” (U.S. Census Bureau)
January 21, 2016
- Press Release (available in English only) “Gross Domestic Product by Industry: Third Quarter 2015” (U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis)
January 22, 2016
- Press Release: “Consumer Price Index, December 2015” (Statistics Canada)
- Press Release: “Consumer Price Index: Annual review, 2015” (Statistics Canada)
- Webinar Series: How to grow your business through exporting
Available for viewing on demand
EDC recently hosted a series of three free webinars that will answer your questions and help you understand the benefits and rewards of exporting to international markets.
1. Exporters do better. How to get started
2. Get the most out of exporting to the United States
3. Export challenges: How to overcome them and succeed